What I used:
- Polka dot ciffon style material L150cmXH120cm (I 150×150 just to make it longer, I am size 8 to 10 UK)
- Thread matching the material
- a needle & thread/ sewing machine ( I used a sewing machine but you the only time consuming bit would be the hemming If you did this by hand, so you could always try a fabric that you dont need to hem)
- A measuring tape
Just a note to start off with my fabric didn’t have a right side or wrong side, so always be aware when your sewing your piece together, that you will want the stitching in the inside( wrong side ) of the fabric, so it’s not visable when your wearing it!
Very easy to follow videos & picture guides on YouTube and Pinterest! I tried my best to explain but sometimes it’s easiest to watch!
- I started off with a piece of material 150cmx120cm and folded that in half , so that the fold is furthest away from you and pinned to keep in place.
- I folded the fabric in half again so that left side met with the right and measured a box to cut out of the corner with the loose ends. I riskily didn’t actually measure this and winged it, definitely leaving more room so that the sleeves were bigger rather than smaller.
- Then when you unfold the fabric once & take the fabric to the machine to sew up the sides so that the sleeve and sides were in tact. It was pretty easy just remember to take your time its 90 degree angle on each side so its not too much.
- This was a bit I wanted to measure.. The half way line so that we had a opening to get in to the kimono.. So measuring half way across your fabric cut right up to the fold.
- So its starting to look like a kimono now and for some you may be done if you don’t need to hem! I did so I hemmed all the sleeves and bottom of the kimono and I was done!
Though its not perfect i’m pretty happy with how this turned out, yes the stitching goes a bit funny on the back of the neck.. but my hair hides that. the rest of it looks really neat and I dont think I have ever sewn that straight before in my life soooo chuffed!
God knows where ill wear it but it was fun making it & pretty quick.